Participants should be aware that walking in the countryside involves covering terrain that can be difficult underfoot. It is essential to wear the correct footwear and clothing and carry the appropriate equipment.
Map – AA Walker’s Map 1 Central Peak District
Waterproof Map Case
Compass – Silva Expedition 4 recommended. Compass can be borrowed (£10 deposit)
Notebook and Pen
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Walking trousers or shorts (Shorts not advisable on the Silver Navigation Course due to off path moorland walking)
- T-shirt or shirt – wicking material rather than cotton
- Spare fleece for lunch break
- Warm hat and gloves (at most times of year – weather can be changeable in the hills)
- Sun hat in warm weather
- Walking boots with good ankle support and tread
- Walking socks
- Gaiters – optional although handy if it has been wet and to protect legs on the Silver Navigation Course.
Food and Drink
- Sufficient food to carry with you for a day’s moorland walking plus spare rations (eg energy bars for emergency use).
- Water – at least 1 litre – and hot flask of tea or coffee for lunch break
Essential Personal Medication
- Any regular mediation that you may need (eg inhaler for asthma sufferers).
- Small first aid kit recommended although you tutor will have a group first aid kit
Rucksack to carry food, drink, spare clothing, etc